Mary Rea – Funded Investigator
Contact Details: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: +353-25-42602 or +353-76-1111234
1975 B.Sc (hons) in Microbiology from UCC
1977: MSc: Microbiology in Department of Microbiology UCC
2011: PhD Microbiology from Department of Microbiology UCC
Mary is a Senior Research Officer at Teagasc Food Research Centre in Moorepark. She has worked as a researcher in An Foras Taluntas,Teagasc and APC. She is Curator of the culture collections attached to Teagasc Food Research Centre and the APC which comprise of over 10,000 strains.
Mary’s research interests are in mining gut flora for bacteriocins for food and biomedical applications, control strategies for C. difficile, food microbiology, especially microbiology of smear ripening bacteria and LAB and survival of Mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis in dairy foods. In addition she is interested in gut microbiology including mining the mammalian GIT for antimicrobial producing bacteria targeting gut pathogens and their identification and purification. She has a background in dairy microbiology including the microbiota of cheese, dairy fermentations and stability of lactic acid bacteria during spray drying and storage.
Please see: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3782-0232
- >50 publications in the areas of food and gut microbiology
- Author on 2 patents
- APC Researcher of the Year 2008
- APC award for Educational Outreach 2008
- Awarded the 2013 Teagasc Staff Excellence Award for Excellence in Research.
- Platform leader of the APC Culture to Product Platform
- Coordinator of FIRM projects and Teagasc Client Contract Research Projects
- Member of Society for Applied Microbiology
- Member of the Irish Advisory Committee for Genetic Resources