New Stars – Expression of Interest
It is widely recognised that the gut microbiota plays an important role in human health and has become one of the most dynamic, complex and exciting areas of research in both food and pharmaceutical arenas. The microbiota is not only a target for treatment and prevention of disease, it is a repository for functional food ingredients and even new drugs and is a source of novel biomarkers of disease risk.
The APC Microbiome Institute is about people working together across the boundaries of traditional research sectors and over the last decade the APC has established itself as one of the leading global centres in gut microbiota research. The APC was formed in 2003, with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in conjunction with key industry partners, and represents a seamless collaboration between University College Cork, Teagasc (Government agri-food research laboratory) and the Cork Institute of Technology. The APC team has made several landmark discoveries and has published over 1600 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, generating many journal covers and associated editorials. The APC has created a lively trans-disciplinary environment with over 250 researchers from diverse backgrounds working in teams, sharing ideas and resources, including Principal Investigators, the management team, and a dedicated group of postdoctoral researchers, MD fellows, research assistants, postgraduate students and research nurses.
The scientific organisation of the APC Microbiome Institute consists of a matrix of four research themes of intellectual pursuit; i) Microbes to Molecules, ii) Diet and Microbes at the Extremes of Life, iii) Brain-Gut-Microbiota Axis and iv) Host-Microbe Dialogue. These “blues-skies” research programmes are supported by ten shared technology platforms; Culture-to-Product Platform, Next Generation Sequencing, BioIT, Preclinical Models, Germ-Free Platform, Human Studies Platform, Microbiota Transplantation, Bioprocessing Platform and QTOF Mass Spec platform. This ensures freshness of ideas and support for intellectual curiosity, while also serving as a magnet to attract and drive industry-focussed research.
The APC is seeking to expand its pool of Principal Investigators over the next few years, and will be hiring a number of Research Professors. We are currently seeking expressions of interest from researchers in the following areas:
• Big Data, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer science, Modelling
• Immunology (including mucosal immunology, infection immunology)
• Analytical Chemistry, Metabolomics
• Neuropsychology, Cognitive Neuroscience
• Nutrition, Food Science
• Cancer Biology, Cell Biology
• Animal microbiome/nutrition/diagnostics
Potential candidates should demonstrate the following essential qualities:
• Internationally acknowledged leader in their research field
• Demonstrated evidence of a collaborative nature and willingness to work in trans-disciplinary teams
• Interest in collaborating with industry
• Candidates will be expected to be of sufficient calibre to apply for an SFI Research Professorship and/or an ERC Award.
• Strong networks in Europe and a successful history of winning EU funding
• Vision of how microbiome research will contribute to societal and economic benefits
• understanding of how their research would contribute to the APC vision and ambition to be the leading global Microbiome Institute
• No previous research experience of working in the microbiome is necessary, but a curiosity in relation to the microbiome is essential
Interested researchers can arrange to speak in confidence by e-mailing any of the individuals below:
Prof Fergus Shanahan, APC Director, email@example.com,
Prof Gerald Fitzgerald, APC Deputy Director, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Dr Sally Cudmore, APC General Manager, email@example.com,
Expressions of Interest (CV and Letter of Intent explaining why you are interested in becoming an APC Research Professor, and why APC should be thrilled to host you) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
For other current research vacancies at the APC please go to our vacancies page